Hope, Perseverance, Purpose in Suffering?, The Search for Answers, Trust, Words of Endurance
God Works All Things Together For Our Good
And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good
of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.
For God knew his people in advance, and he chose them to become like his Son,
so that his Son would be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters.
ROMANS 8:28-29 (NLT)
Probably one of the most quoted scripture shared with those who suffer is “… God causes everything to work together for the good …”. While Dave and I were in the midst of our pain and we would hear these words, we would think, “What good can come out of cancer, loss of arm and career, depression and the loss of loved ones?”
As we looked to the Scripture for answers we noticed that verse 28 is often quoted alone without verse 29. Verse 29 is important because it qualifies verse 28 and answered our question: The good that comes from our suffering is so that we may “… become like his Son …”.
And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns. PHILIPPIANS 1:6 (NLT)
Please know that while we were in the midst of our trials we were not aware of the good work that was being done within us. But now that we are on the other side of our valley we cannot deny the good that has come out of our suffering. (Remember that hindsight is 20/20!)
- We learned God’s Word. It was and still is our lifeline. PSALM 119:71
- We learned that God could be trusted in the midst of our trials even when we did not understand.
- He directed our path. We know we can trust Him in every trial. PROVERBS 3:5-6
- We learned that God’s presence was not dependent upon our feelings. HEBREWS 13:5
- We learned to persevere in the midst of suffering and our character matured – molded and shaped by the affliction. JAMES 1:2-4
- Our faith was refined and our convictions were strengthened. 1 PETER 1:7
- The ministry, Endurance, was birthed. We answered the call to comfort others as we ourselves were comforted by God. 2 CORINTHIANS 1:3-5
You intended to harm me, but God intended it all for good.
He brought me to this position
so I could save the lives of many people.
GENESIS 50:20 (NLT)
(Words of Joseph, son of Jacob, spoken to his brothers who sold him into slavery years before.)
On the journey with you,